Men's Volleyball Awards Trio Lead Squads to Hot Big West Start
RADO PARAPUNOV, HAWAI‘I • MEN'S VOLLEYBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Junior • Opposite • Sofia, Bulgaria • National High School of Math
• Rado Parapunov earned his third career Big West Men’s Volleyball Player of the Week award in leading No. 2 Hawai‘i to a two-match series sweep over No. 3 UC Irvine.
• The 6-foot-9 opposite hit a robust .463 with 34 kills and just nine errors in 54 attempts. He averaged 5.67 kills, 1.33 block and 1.17 digs per set as UH started off Big West play 2-0 and extended its school record unbeaten sets streak to 36 straight.
• Parapunov had 18 kills in the opener, hitting .387 with six digs and four blocks. He knocked down 12 kills in the pivotal 33-31 opening set win as the ‘Bows went on to sweep the match.
• The Bulgarian national followed up with 16 kills on .565 hitting (16-3-23) in the rematch. He had two service aces and four more blocks.
Others nominated: Dimitar Kalchev (CSUN); Kyle Ensing (Long Beach State); Ryan Wilcox (UC Santa Barbara)
NICK AMADO, LONG BEACH STATE • MEN'S VOLLEYBALL DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Senior • Middle Blocker • Aliso Niguel, Calif. • Aliso Niguel HS
• Long Beach State middle blocker Nick Amado collected his second career Big West Men’s Volleyball Defensive Player of the Week award as he dominated at the net in a two-match series sweep of No. 11 CSUN.
• The 6-foot-6 senior averaged 2.17 blocks per set to help the Beach win in three sets on back-to-back nights against the Matadors. He also hit a whopping .882 (15-0-17) with no errors in 17 swings.
• Amado had seven kills (7-0-8) with four blocks in the Big West opener against CSUN at the Walter Pyramid.
• The next night inside the Matadome, Amado posted a career-high nine blocks to go with eight kills on nine errorless swings (.889). He added a pair of digs.
Others nominated: Casey McGarry (UC Santa Barbara); Patrick Gasman (Hawai‘i)
RYAN WILCOX, UC SANTA BARBARA •
MEN'S VOLLEYBALL FRESHMAN PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Outside Hitter • Honolulu, Hawai‘i • Punahou School
• For the third time this season, UC Santa Barbara outside hitter Ryan Wilcox is the Big West Men’s Volleyball Freshman Player of the Week.
• He helped the Gauchos complete the season sweep of UC San Diego with a three-set win at home. No. 5 UCSB won its 11th consecutive match as Wilcox tallied a match-high 10 kills and added two aces and a dig.
• Wilcox hit .500 (10-2-16) for the match, marking the sixth time this season he has compiled 10 or more kills.
Others nominated: None