Cal State Fullerton Sweeps Softball Awards
ARI WILLIAMS, CAL STATE FULLERTON •
SOFTBALL FIELD PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Senior • OF • Moreno Valley, Calif. • Canyon Springs HS
Collecting her second Big West Softball Field Player of the Week award this season, Cal State Fullerton senior Ari Williams had an explosive performance at the plate in the Judi Garman Classic.
• The center fielder hit .583 (7-for-12) and registered a 1.167 slugging percentage as the Titans posted a 3-1 record for the tournament.
• Williams had a double and two home runs among her seven hits while scoring five times and driving in seven. She had at least one hit in all four games.
• Williams contributed to a 3-2 upset win over No. 20 Oregon with a solo home run in the bottom of the first.
• She gave CSF another early lead with a two-run, first-inning blast against Connecticut in an eventual run-rule 11-3 triumph. Williams finished 1-for-2 with two runs scored and three RBI against the Huskies.
• The Moreno Valley, Calif. native completed the tournament with her second 4-for-4 performance of the year in a 19-1 rout of New Mexico. She doubled, scored twice and had three RBI.
OTHERS NOMINATED: Megan Stevens (CSUN); Megan Bower (UC Davis); Emma Ramelot (UC Riverside)
DANI MARTINEZ, CAL STATE FULLERTON •
SOFTBALL PITCHER & FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Freshman • RHP • Bellflower, Calif. • Gahr HS
Dani Martinez mopped up both the Big West Softball Pitcher and Freshman of the Week awards as she went 3-0 for Cal State Fullerton at the Judi Garman Classic.
• Martinez tossed 4.0 innings in all three of her appearances against No. 20 Oregon, Connecticut and New Mexico, allowing just a combined four hits and one run for a minuscule 0.58 ERA.
• Martinez also walked just two and struck out 17 in her 12 total innings of work.
• She came out of the bullpen to shut down the nationally ranked Ducks on just a single hit over four frames. She retired the first 11 Oregon hitters she faced before surrendering her only hit in the 3-2 win.
• The Bellflower, Calif. started against Connecticut and recorded four more shutout innings on two hits, no walks and seven strikeouts in an 11-3 victory.
• Martinez gave up her only run of the weekend in a 19-1 pasting of New Mexico. She struck out six Lobos to give her 44 for the season - currently the third-highest total among Big West pitchers.
OTHERS NOMINATED (Pitcher): Jillian James (CSUN); Ashley Coleman (Long Beach State); Brooke Yanez (UC Davis); Jacy Boles (UC Riverside)
OTHERS NOMINATED (Freshman): Megan Bower (UC Davis); Nadia Witt (UC Riverside)