Cal State Fullerton, UC Davis Collect Softball Weekly Honors
ARI WILLIAMS, CAL STATE FULLERTON – SOFTBALL FIELD PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Senior • OF • Moreno Valley, Calif. • Canyon Springs HS
Notching her second career Big West Softball Field Player of the Week award, Cal State Fullerton senior Ari Williams led her team to a 3-2 record at the prestigious Hillenbrand Invitational.
• The outfielder batted .563 (9-of-16) with three home runs and nine RBI over the five games, which included wins over Illinois-Chicago (12-8), New Mexico (6-2) and South Florida (5-4).
• She had at least one hit in four of the five games and posted multiple RBI against each of the first four opponents.
• Williams tallied her second career four-hit game with a 4-for-4 performance against New Mexico. She had a home run and three RBI versus the Lobos.
• The Moreno Valley native hit a walkoff triple to give CSF the victory over South Florida.
• She also had home runs against Illinois-Chicago and No. 7 Alabama. She finished 2-for-4 with two RBI against the nationally ranked Crimson Tide.
OTHERS NOMINATED: Megan Stevens (CSUN); Riley Siegel (UC Davis); Alyssa Sojka (Hawai‘i)
BROOKE YANEZ, UC DAVIS – SOFTBALL PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Sophomore • LHP • Ventura, Calif. • Buena HS
First-time winner of Big West Softball Pitcher of the Week honors, UC Davis sophomore Brooke Yanez shined at the Boyd Gaming Rebel Classic.
• Yanez posted a 3-1 record with a 2.58 ERA over 19 innings at the Las Vegas-based tournament.
• She racked up 26 strikeouts against just seven walks in her 19 innings of work. She fanned a season-high 14 Brigham Young batters in a 4-2 victory.
• The 14 K’s represented the second highest total of her career. She had 15 against Utah State last season.
• Yanez struck out seven and allowed two runs in a 15-2, five inning win over UTEP. It was her second straight complete game effort in the tourney.
• The left-hander tossed five more innings in a 5-4 win over Georgetown. She did not walk a batter and retired three more via the strikeout.
OTHERS NOMINATED: Emily Klee (Hawai‘i)
ALEXA NEIL, CAL STATE FULLERTON – SOFTBALL FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
2B • Ramona, Calif. • Ramona HS
Alexa Neil was productive for Cal State Fullerton at the Hillenbrand Classic and the recipient of Big West Softball Freshman of the Week accolades.
• Neil was one of two Titans to reach base in every game as the team went 3-2 overall.
• The second baseman hit .500 (7-for-14) with six runs scored and a pair of RBIs.
• She walked four times as well to finish the week with a .611 on base percentage.
• Neil had two hits against Illinois-Chicago, South Florida and No. 9 Arizona. She had two of the team’s three hits against the Wildcats.
• Neil accounted for the game-winning RBI with a single in the seventh of Friday’s 12-8 win over UIC. She also poked a game-tying RBI single in the fifth in Friday’s eventual 5-4 win over South Florida.
OTHERS NOMINATED: Kianah Corey (Cal Poly); Megan Bower (UC Davis); Izzy Dino (Hawai‘i)