Shorts II Shines In Central Coast Road Sweep
TJ SHORTS II, UC DAVIS • MEN'S BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Senior • Guard • Tustin, Calif. • Saddleback College
TJ Shorts II attained his third career Big West Men’s Basketball Player of the Week award as the UC Davis senior led his squad to a sweep on the Central Coast.
• Shorts II averaged 19.5 points, 3.5 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 2.0 steals per game to spark the Aggies to wins over Cal Poly (63-53) and UC Santa Barbara (61-57).
• The 5-foot-9 guard posted a game-high18 points on 7-of-11 shooting in 31 minutes versus the Mustangs. He notched seven of the team’s 12 assists, while adding five rebounds, a block and a steal.
• Facing a UCSB team that owned a 10-1 home record, Shorts II tallied a game-high 21 points and snagged three steals as the Aggies won their third straight.
• Shorts II shot 8-of-13 from the field against the Gauchos and made all five of his free throw attempts to secure his fifth 20-point game of the season.
• Shorts II sank four consecutive crucial free throws in the final 30 seconds to keep the Gauchos at bay in the four-point win. He added three assists and three steals against the Gauchos.
• The Tustin native shot 62.5% (15-of-24) from the field and 80.0% (8-of-10) from the line for the week.
• Eight of his 15 field goal makes came on layups.
OTHERS NOMINATED: Kyle Allman, Jr. (Cal State Fullerton); Lamine Diane (CSUN); Temidayo Yussuf (Long Beach State); Jonathan Galloway (UC Irvine); Zac Watson (UC Riverside); Brocke Stepteau (Hawai‘i)