Wijnbelt Picks Up First Career Women's Water Polo Award
NOELLE WIJNBELT, UC DAVIS – WOMEN’S WATER POLO PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Freshman • Center • Tustin, Calif. • Foothill HS
Freshman Noelle Wjinbelt secured her first career Big West Women’s Water Polo Player of the Week award in leading UC Davis to a 2-1 record at the Stanford Invitational.
• The Aggie center recorded eight goals, an assist and two steals in the three games. She has started her collegiate career with a team-leading 19 goals in eight contests.
• Wijnbelt helped fuel a 12-11 upset of No. 8t Michigan in the tourney opener. She completed a hat trick in that game, and followed up with another three goal performance in a 10-8 loss to No. 8t Pacific.
• Her offensive spark in the Pacific game nearly pushed the Aggies back from an 8-1 halftime deficit.
• In a 13-10 victory over No. 19 Indiana, Wijnbelt had two goals and two steals.
• After drawing only two exclusions in the first five games combined, Wjinbelt stepped up on the defensive end at the Stanford Invite and drew five total exclusions. That helped hold Michigan and Pacific to scoreless final quarters, and kept Indiana off the board in the first quarter.
• Wijnbelt has notched at least one goal in all eight games this season, including two in every game except No. 4 Cal. She owns four hat tricks on the year.
Others nominated: Amanda Legaspi (UC Santa Barbara); Elyse Lemay-Lavoie (Hawai‘i)