Chavers, Wilcox Repeat As Men's Volleyball Weekly Winners
COREY CHAVERS, UC SANTA BARBARA • MEN'S VOLLEYBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Senior • Outside Hitter • Downey, Calif. • Gahr HS
• Corey Chavers earned his second consecutive Big West Men’s Volleyball Player of the Week award as a key cog in UC Santa Barbara’s back-to-back sweeps over No. 3 BYU.
• The 6-foot-4 outside hitter racked up 33 kills on an impressive 5.50 kills per set average to help the No. 9 Gauchos win their fifth and sixth consecutive matches.
• Chavers notched 17 kills on .306 (17-6-36) hitting in Friday’s 25-22, 25-22, 25-20 triumph.
• He followed with 16 kills on .313 (16-6-32) hitting the next night as the Gauchos rolled to a 25-15, 25-16, 27-25 win.
• Chavers tallied three aces in each of the two contests while tallying five total digs and hitting .309 for the week.
Others nominated: Ksawery Tomsia (CSUN); TJ DeFalco (Long Beach State); Scott Stadick (UC Irvine); Wyatt Harrison (UC San Diego); Rado Parapunov (Hawai‘i)
GAGE WORSLEY, HAWAI‘I • MEN'S VOLLEYBALL DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Sophomore • Libero • Moraga, Calif. • Campolino HS
• Gage Worsley garnered his first career Big West Men’s Volleyball Defensive Player of the Week award as Hawai‘i stormed to a pair of sweeps over Stanford.
• The libero averaged 3.00 digs per set in the home series sweep of the No. 8 Cardinal.
• Worsley had a match-high 11 digs in the opener, a 25-15, 27-25, 25-22 triumph.
• Backing UH’s No. 2 national ranking, Worsley had seven digs in the 25-15, 25-18, 25-16 victory two nights later.
• Worsley’s defense helped limited Stanford to .246 hitting over the two matches.
Others nominated: Emmett Enriques (CSUN); Jordan Molina (Long Beach State); Scott Stadick (UC Irvine); Ryan Lew (UC San Diego); Randy DeWeese (UC Santa Barbara)
RYAN WILCOX, UC SANTA BARBARA • MEN'S VOLLEYBALL FRESHMAN PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Outside Hitter • Honolulu, Hawai‘i • Punahou School
• Outside hitter Ryan Wilcox notched his second straight Big West Men’s Volleyball Freshman Player of the Week award as he contributed heavily to UC Santa Barbara’s series sweep of No. 3 BYU.
• Wilcox hit a robust .500 (17-2-30) for the week on 2.83 kills, 2.17 digs and 0.83 aces per set to help the ninth-ranked Gauchos extend their winning streak to six.
• Wilcox tied his career high with 14 kills on Saturday, swinging at a.667 clip with no attacking errors in 21 attempts. He pounded seven kills in the first set alone.
• On Friday, he tallied three kils, six digs and a career-high four service aces, including three in a row late in the third set as UCSB closed out the match with a tight 27-25 win.
Others nominated: Shane Holdaway (Long Beach State); Jonny Bowles (UC Irvine); Shane Benetz (UC San Diego)