UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara Honored In Men's Volleyball
COREY CHAVERS, UC SANTA BARBARA • MEN'S VOLLEYBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Senior • Outside Hitter • Downey, Calif. • Gahr HS
• Corey Chavers racked up his second career Big West Men’s Volleyball Player of the Week award as the UC Santa Barbara junior helped his team to a pair of wins over Top-10 opponents.
• The 6-foot-4 outside hitter averaged 4.33 kills per set and hit .459 (39-5-74) to fuel the Gauchos in their five-set triumph over No. 9 Lewis and four-set victory against No. 5 Loyola-Chicago.
• Chavers tallied 19 kills on .441 (19-4-34) hitting versus Lewis, adding seven digs and four block assists.
• He followed with 20 kills on .475 hitting efficiency against Loyola, committing just one error in 40 attempts. He added an ace, two digs and two block assists.
Others nominated: Ksawery Tomsia (CSUN); Kyle Ensing (Long Beach State); Scott Stadick (UC Irvine); Wyatt Harrison (UC San Diego)
SCOTT STADICK, UC IRVINE •
MEN'S VOLLEYBALL DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Junior • Middle Blocker • Watertown, Wisc. • Watertown HS
• Scott Stadick earned his second Big West Men’s Volleyball Defensive Player of the Week award this season – and the seventh citation of his career – leading UC Irvine at the net over a three-match stretch.
• The 7-foot middle blocker averaged 1.67 blocks over 12 sets as the Anteaters posted wins over Concordia and No. 6 Pepperdine following a tough loss to USC.
• Stadick tied his season high with eight blocks against the Waves, including three consecutive rejections in the decisive fourth set. Down 24-19 in that set, Stadick was a key part of a 6-0 run that helped the ‘Eaters knot the score at 24-24.
• Stadick had five block assists against Concordia as UCI notched a season-high 15.5 blocks for the match. He also had seven blocks (one solo) versus the Trojans.
• He was effective offensively with a .426 (27-7-47) hitting percentage for the week, including a season-high tying 10 kills versus Pepperdine.
Others nominated: Jordan Molina (Long Beach State); Brandon Hicks (UC Santa Barbara)
RYAN WILCOX, UC SANTA BARBARA • MEN'S VOLLEYBALL FRESHMAN PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Outside Hitter • Honolulu, Hawai‘i • Punahou School
• UC Santa Barbara outside hitter Ryan Wilcox collected his first Big West Men’s Volleyball Freshman Player of the Week award after contributing to a pair of top 10 wins.
• Wilcox averaged 2.89 kills per set on .286 (26-10-56) attacking efficiency to help the Gauchos dispatch No. 9 Lewis in five sets and No. 5 Loyola-Chicago in four sets.
• He had 12 kills against the Flyers and a career-high 14 versus the Ramblers. Wilcox added four blocks and six digs against Loyola, and had an ace versus Lewis.
Others nominated: Alexandre Nsakanda (UC Irvine); Berkeley Miesfeld (UC San Diego)