MAX HAZZARD, UC IRVINE • MEN'S BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK Junior • Guard • Los Angeles, Calif. • Loyola HS
The first to earn two Big West Men’s Basketball Player of the Week awards this season, UC Irvine junior Max Hazzard used the three ball to near perfection in his squad’s 10th win.
• Hazzard drained a Bren Events Center record 10 three-point baskets in UCI’s 86-52 win over Denver on Saturday. He broke the previous record of nine.
• The 6-foot guard finished 10-of-17 from three-point territory. He went 7-of-10 from distance in the first half, including six threes in the first 10 minutes of the game to help the Anteaters build a 47-16 lead at the break.
• His 10 triples came up just one short of tying the school and Big West record for threes in a game, jointly held by UCI’s Chris Brown (vs. New Mexico State, 3/13/94) and Cal State Fullerton’s Bobby Brown (vs. Bethune Cookman, 12-6-06).
• Hazzard’s 10 threes are tied for the fourth-most in a game across NCAA Division I this season.
• Hazzard finished 11-of-19 from the field for a career-best 32 points, the most by any Anteater this season and the highest total since Jaron Martin dropped 33 against New Mexico State on Dec. 19, 2016.
• He added three rebounds and a steal in just 21 minutes of playing time.
• Hazzard’s three-point theatrics also led the team to a record-breaking night. The Anteaters knocked down 18 threes to break the previous mark of 16.