DONOVAN FIELDS, CAL POLY • MEN'S BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK Senior • Guard • Newburgh, N.Y. • Odessa College
Earning his first career Big West Men’s Basketball Player of the Week award, Cal Poly senior Donovan Fields was instrumental in a tight, two-point overtime victory over Bethune-Cookman.
• Fields recorded his fourth 20-point game of the season, contributing a game-high 28 points on 11-of-16 shooting in the 80-78 triumph Saturday.
• The 5-foot-10 guard also dished out the game-winning assist – one of four on the evening – as his pass found Mark Crowe for a buzzer-beating 22-foot bank shot. Fields dribbled the ball into the frontcourt and located Crowe on the right side for the open look.
• Fields scored 16 of his 28 points in the first half to give the Mustangs a 38-37 lead going into the locker room.
• He knocked down three, three-point buckets while adding three rebounds, two steals and a blocked shot in a game-high 42 minutes played.
• Fields sank three crucial free throws in the overtime period to keep the Mustangs in view of Bethune-Cookman and ultimately set up the game-winning shot by Crowe.
• Fields ranks sixth in the Big West in scoring (15.9 ppg).
• His four 20-point games is tied for second-best among conference players.