Sanders Notches First Career Weekly Accolade
JORDAN SANDERS, UC IRVINE – WOMEN’S BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Sophomore • Forward • Springfield, Mo. • Kickapoo HS
Her play fueling the best start in program history, UC Irvine sophomore Jordan Sanders gobbled up her first career Big West Women’s Basketball Player of the Week award.
• Sanders averaged 19.7 points, 6.3 rebounds and 1.7 steals during a 3-0 week that included the GCU Thanksgiving Classic title. She shot 61.1% (22-36) from the floor and 83.3% (15-18) on free throws.
• Her averages ballooned to 23.0 points, 8.0 rebounds and 2.5 steals in the two GCU Thanksgiving Classic victories as the Anteaters defeated LIU Brooklyn (84-71) and Indiana State (77-61). She shot 70.8% (17-25) for the tournament.
• In the championship game against then-unbeaten Indiana State, Sanders exploded for a career-high 25 points and added 11 rebounds, cementing her second double-double of the season. She also had four steals and connected on 11-16 from the field in 37 minutes against the Sycamores.
• One day earlier, the 5-foot-11 forward provided a team-best 21 points on 6-8 shooting in just 17 minute against LIU Brooklyn. She knocked down all but one of her 10 free throw attempts.
• Sanders also had 13 points, three rebounds and a blocked shot in a midweek home win over Southern Utah.
• She has reached double digits in scoring in all five games this year, including three 20-point outings.
• UCI’s 5-0 start is the best in school history, and Sanders has been a catalyst, ranking No. 2 in the Big West in scoring at 19.8 points per game.
OTHERS NOMINATED: Devin Stanback (Cal Poly); Hannah Thompson (Cal State Fullerton); De’Jionae Calloway (CSUN); Shanaijah Davison (Long Beach State); Coco Miller (UC Santa Barbara)