Cal Poly Sweeps Women's Volleyball Honors
TORREY VAN WINDEN, CAL POLY – PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Junior • OH • Napa, Calif. • UCLA
• Torrey Van Winden earned her fourth Women’s Volleyball Player of the Week award this season as she led Cal Poly to a pair of conference sweeps.
• The 6-foot-3 opposite averaged 6.33 kills, 4.00 digs and 0.50 aces over six sets as the Mustangs defeated UC Irvine and UC Santa Barbara in quick fashion.
• Van Winden recorded her ninth and 10th double-doubles of the season to help Cal Poly improve to 21-2 on the season, remaining in first place in the Big West with an 11-1 mark.
• Van Winden tallied a match-high 21 kills, 11 digs and two service aces against the Anteaters. She hit .375 (21-6-40) for the match.
• Against the Gauchos, she collected 17 kills, 13 digs, a block and an ace while hitting .350 (17-3-40).
• Van Winden collected her eighth match with 20 or more kills this season.
Others nominated: Morgan Salone (CSUN); Tyler Spriggs (Long Beach State); Nicola Moore (UC Davis); Makayla Wolfe (UC Irvine); McKenna Granato (Hawai‘i)
AVALON DeNECOCHEA, CAL POLY – FRESHMAN PLAYER OF THE WEEK
S • San Diego, Calif. • University HS
• Avalon DeNecochea captured her third Freshman Player of the Week honor after directing the Cal Poly offense to .279 hitting in back-to-back conference sweeps of UC Irvine and UC Santa Barbara.
• The 6-foot-2 setter averaged 11.83 assists and 2.17 digs per set for the week.
• DeNecochea collected 39 assists (13.00 aps) versus the Anteaters to go along with three digs and a block assists.
• She returned against the Gauchos to tally her second double-double of the season, finishing with 32 assists and 10 digs. DeNecochea chipped in two block assists.
• Marjama has had two or more aces in 10 matches this season.
Others nominated: Nicole Nevarez (CSUN); Dylan Dela Cruz (Long Beach State); Josie Ough (UC Davis); Abby Marjama (UC Irvine); Megan Lewis (UC Santa Barbara)
KATHERINE BROUKER, CAL POLY – DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Senior • L • San Diego, Calif. • West Hills HS
• Katherine Brouker tallied her third career Defensive Player of the Week honor – first of the 2018 season – as the Cal Poly libero averaged 5.17 digs per set in two league wins.
• Brouker reached double-figure dig totals in both matches, tallying 17 against UC Irvine and 14 versus UC Santa Barbara.
• She has notched double-digit digs in 21 of Cal Poly’s 23 contests this season.
• Brouker added two aces against UCI and dished out seven assists over the two contests.
Others nominated: Kristey Markle (CSUN); Lauren Jackson (UC Davis); Haley DeSales (UC Irvine); Emilia Petrachi (UC Riverside); Reyn Akiu (Hawai‘i)