Favela, Maher Named Women's Soccer Weekly Honorees
MARISSA FAVELA, CSUN – OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Senior • MF • Diamond Bar, Calif. • Diamond Bar HS
• Marissa Favela earned her second Offensive Player of the Week award this season – and the third of her career – as she scored the lone goal of the match to lead CSUN past UC Riverside.
• Playing against a Highlander team that had entered the match allowing just four goals all season, Favela broke a scoreless tie with a goal at 55:54. She took a corner kick from the right side and hit the side netting at the back post for the 1-0 Matador lead.
• It was Favela’s 12th career goal, moving her into a tie for eighth place in CSUN history with Susie Mischenko (2004-07) and Heidi Farran (2007-11).
• Favela took a match-high six shots for the game, putting two of them on goal.
Others nominated: Elysia Laramie (Long Beach State); Margot Ridgeway (UC Davis); Shelby Lee (UC Irvine); Darielle O’Brien (UC Riverside)
SARAH MAHER, LONG BEACH STATE – DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Senior • D • Long Beach, Calif. • Wilson HS
• Sarah Maher anchored the Long Beach State defense in a pair of shutouts and contributed a game-winning goal to claim Defensive Player of the Week recognition.
• The senior played every minute on the backline for the Beach, including 102 minutes against the Mustangs in a double overtime, 1-0, victory over Cal Poly. Maher helped LBSU outshot the Mustangs by a 26-4 margin, with only one of the four Cal Poly attempts on frame.
• Maher played a crucial role in LBSU’s second straight 1-0 win of the week. She scored the game-winning goal on a header in the 64th minute, flicking a pass from Chloe Froment off the keeper’s hand and into the back of the net.
• It was Maher’s third career goal and her second career game-winner.
Others nominated: Sophia Brown (Cal Poly); Amanda Delgado (CSUN); Alexis Smith (UC Davis); Kelsey Pottorff (UC Irvine)