Milestones Propel Women's Soccer Into Week Four
Women's Soccer Weekly Release No. 5
BIG WEST AT A GLANCE
BALL IS BALLIN’
UC Santa Barbara’s Amanda Ball found the back of the net twice last weekend as the Gauchos went 0-1-1 to bring her score total to six in 2017. The senior has netted six of the Gauchos’ eight goals this season. Her six scores tie for the 8th-most in the nation. She is also in the top 25 nationally with three game-winning goals, which ties for fifth-best in the country. Her 0.86 goals per game average is tied for 13th-best in the NCAA.
Last week saw two impressive feats from Big West coaches in Long Beach State’s Mauricio Ingrassia and UC Irvine’s Scott Juniper.
Ingrassia: In his 14th year at the helm, Long Beach State’s Mauricio Ingrassia recorded his 150th win with LBSU’s 3-0 win over San Diego last week. Ingrassia has averaged 10 wins a season and is the winningest coach in LBSU women’s soccer history.
Juniper: With 114 career wins, UC Irvine’s Scott Juniper became the all-time winningest coach in UCI women’s soccer history after a 1-0 shutout Sunday, versus Oregon.
IRVINE GETS PAC-12 VICTORY
UC Irvine defeated Oregon 1-0 Sunday at home thanks to a game-winner from Grayson Galbraith. who headed home the score. This was the first start for Galbraith this season after returning from injury. This also marks the first Big West victory over a Pac-12 opponent in 2017.
NEWSOM MAKES NOISE
UC Irvine goalkeeper Madie Newsom ranks 19th-best in the nation with a .396 goals against average and also ranks nationally with four shutouts, the 14th-most in the NCAA. Newsom has played 681:03 minutes between the posts, the fourth-most in the league.
UC Davis goalkeeper Alexis Smith has noted 46 saves, a number that ties for the 13-most in the country. Smith’s 46 saves are the most in the Big West and bests the runner up by 13 stops. The junior keeper boasts a .807 save percentage and a 1.52 goals against average.
TITANS ENJOY PERFECT WEEKEND
After a 2-1 voctory versus Iowa State and a 3-0 shutout win over Utah Valley, Cal State Fullerton recorded a perfect 2-0 weekend. This is the second time this season the Titans have won back-to-back matches. CSF is the only Big West squad to currently have a two-game win-streak.
CSUN HOME TO TOURNAMENT IN 2017
CSUN will host the 2017 Big West Women’s Soccer Tournament from November 2-5 at Matador Soccer Field. Consistent with previous years, the four teams with the best marks in league at the close of the regular season will earn berths to the conference tournament.
#Big5: Five Thing You Need To Know This Week
• Long Beach State's coach Mauricio Ingrassia is the winningest coach in LBSU women's soccer history and recorded his 150th win. UC Irvine's coach Scott Juniper recorded his 114th win and became the all-time wins leader for UCI women's soccer.
• Cal State Fullerton has won back-to-back matches for the second time this season
• UC Santa Barbara's Amanda Ball netted two goals last week to bring her season total to six, which ties for 8th-best in the country
|'Eaters > Ducks
• UCI defeated Oregon 1-0 last week and is the first Big West squad to defeat a Pac-12 program
• UC Davis goalkeeper Alexis Smith has recorded 46 season saves, the most in league and 13-best in the nation