Big West Women's Soccer Readies For Week Three
Women's Socer Weekly Release No. 3
BIG WEST AT A GLANCE
LAST TWO STANDING UNBEATEN
After the second week of play, two Big West squads remain undefeate in Cal State Fullerton (2-0-2) and CSUN (2-0-2). The Titans recorded two stalemates including a 1-1 (2OT) tie at No. 14 BYU and a 1-1 double overtime draw at Utah State. CSUN earned a perfect weekend with a 2-0 shutout win over Houston and a 2-1 OT win versus Utah Valley. Cal State Fullerton looks to build upon its hot start in search of its fourth Big West Tournament title in five years. Defending regular season champion, CSUN, looks to follow-up its historic 2016 season with back-to-back crowns.
GIVING THE FANS WHAT THEY WANT
UC Irvine gave the home crowd plenty to cheer for at it’s home opener with a 3-0 shutout win over Portland, Monday. Preseason All-Conference honoree Kiana Palacios notched two scores to pace the Anteaters. Noel Bahan added UCI’s third score, her first on the year. The forward also added an assist. Palacios’ two goals are tied for fourth-best in the Big West as are her four points.
LONG BEACH STATE CRACKS TOP-25
For the first time this season, Long Beach State appears in the top 25 after receiving votes earlier this year. The Beach comes in at No. 25 in the Top Drawer Soccer national poll. LBSU earned a perfect 2-0 weekend after defeating No. 16 Northwestern in a 2-0 shutout win and a 2-0 victory at San Diego State. Goalkeeper Imani McDonald recorded her first two shutouts on the year and leads the Big West in the category.
See the poll HERE.
Cal Poly also recorded an unbeaten weekend after a 1-0 win at CSU Bakersfield and a 2-2 double overtime tie at San Francisco.
Long Beach State’s Katie Pingel appeared on the NCAA’s list for the best goals from week 1 (Aug.-26). The goal featured was the long goal the Beach scored in its 5-1 loss to UCLA. “She netted a left-footed strike from outside the box that as just out of reach for UCLA’s keeper,” writes ncaa.com. This was the second week the Big West appeared on the list after UC Davis’s Mandy McKeegan made the list last week.
Check out the article and Pingel's goal HERE. Check out McKeegan's goal featured on opening night HERE.
#Big5: Five Things You Need To Know This Week
|Palacios Puts It Away
• In UC Irvine's home opener versus Portland, senior Kiana Palacios netted two scores. She now paces the Anteaters
|No. 25 Long Beach State
• LBSU cracks the top-25 in the Top Drawer Soccer poll and comes in at No. 25 this week
|Pingel is Prime
• Long Beach State's Katie Pingel appears on ncaa.com as her goal versus UCLA is featured on the best goals of the week
|Ball Ranks Nationally
• UC Santa Barbara senior, Amanda Ball, has tallied two game-winning goals which ties for the third-most nationally
• In case you missed it, Long Beach State's Imani McDonald and CSUN's Marissa Favela notched Defensive and Offensive Athlete of the Week honors, respectively