Cal State Fullerton Heads To College World Series
Links associated with this release:
College World Series Information
NCAA College World Series Bracket
Big West Baseball Release - Week 18
Cal State Fullerton swept through the Stanford Regional and then took 2-of-3 from Long Beach State on the Dirtbags home field to make its 18th appearance, and second in the last three years, at the College World Series. It marks the fourth consecutive year the Big West Conference has sent a team to Omaha - UC Irvine (2014), Cal State Fullerton (2015) and UC Santa Barbara (2016). Cal State Fullerton opens CWS play against No. 1 Oregon State, who hasn’t lost a contest since April 29, on Saturday, June 17 at noon (PT). LSU and Florida State are also on the Titans’ side of the bracket and square off in Saturday's evening contest.
BIG WEST CONFERENCE
• The Big West sent two teams to the 64-team NCAA Baseball Championship. Big West Champion Long Beach State and at-large selection Cal State Fullerton. The Dirtbags hosted a Regional for the first time since 2008, while the Titans hit the road for the Stanford Regional. Both teams advanced to the Super Regional, but unfortunately their respective Regionals were paired up so the SoCal rivalry heated up once again in a three-game-series for the third time this season. Long Beach State hosted the Super Regional, its first appearance since 2004. This marked the first time in conference history that two Big West teams met in Super Regional action and the first time two conference teams have met in the postseason since Cal State Fullerton and UC Irvine squared off in the 2007 College World Series. The Titans ultimately one the Big West Super Regional showdown, 2-1, to earn their 18th trip to the College World Series.
• With Cal State Fullerton headed to its 18th College World Series, it marks the fourth consecutive year the Big West Conference has sent a team to Omaha - UC Irvine (2014), Cal State Fullerton (2015) and UC Santa Barbara (2016).
• The Big West has sent at least one team to the Super Regionals 14 out of the last 15 years with Cal State Fullerton and Long Beach State advancing this year. The 2012 season was the lone year where the Big West was not represented at the Super Regionals.
• Since 2000 the Big West Conference has posted a 142-98 (.592) record in the NCAA Tournament, which includes 20 Super Regional appearances, nine College World Series participants and one national champion (Cal State Fullerton, 2004).
• The Big West has had two baseball National Championships, with both of them claimed by the Cal State Fullerton Titans (1995, 2004). The other two titles the Titans earned in 1979 and 1984 were when they were competing in the Southern California Baseball Association (SCBA). In all, the conference has sent five different teams to the College World Series - Cal State Fullerton, former member Fresno State (1988, 1991), Long Beach State, UC Irvine and UC Santa Barbara.
• The Big West has enjoyed a tradition of representation at the College World Series. In fact, at least one Big West school has reached Omaha 19 times. Fullerton brought home the Big West’s first national title in 1995 and then brought home a second in 2004.
1975 - Cal State Fullerton
1988 - Cal State Fullerton, Fresno State
1989 - Long Beach State
1990 - Cal State Fullerton
1991 - Long Beach State, Fresno State
1992 - Cal State Fullerton
1993 - Long Beach State
1994 - Cal State Fullerton
1995 - Cal State Fullerton (NCAA champ)
1998 - Long Beach State
1999 - Cal State Fullerton
2001 - Cal State Fullerton
2003 - Cal State Fullerton
2004 - Cal State Fullerton (NCAA champ)
2006 - Cal State Fullerton
2007 - Cal State Fullerton, UC Irvine
2009 - Cal State Fullerton
2014 - UC Irvine
2015 - Cal State Fullerton
2016 - UC Santa Barbara
2017 - Cal State Fullerton
CAL STATE FULLERTON
(Stanford Regional 3-0)
(Long Beach Super Regional 2-1)
• The 2017 season marked the 39th year the Titans have competed in the NCAA Regionals - 31st as a Big West member. It was also the 26th consecutive year Cal State Fullerton has received a postseason berth, marking the second-longest active consecutive streak in the nation behind and Florida State (40 years).
• Cal State Fullerton received the second seed in the Stanford Regional that included host and No. 1 seed Stanford, No. 3 BYU and No. 4 Sacramento State. It was the third time the Titans played a regional at Stanford. The Titans opened Regional play with a 13-2 win over the Cougars before downing Stanford in two straight contests, 4-1 and 4-2, to advance to the Super Regionals for the 13th time.
• Overall, the Titans have won 22 regional titles – including a national best 12 on the road (two each in Fresno and Baton Rouge and one each at USC, Austin, Starkville, Stillwater, South Bend, Stanford, Tempe and San Diego). Prior to 2000, the Titans had never hosted a Regional.
• In Super Regional action, Cal State Fullerton faced Long Beach State at Blair Field in the third best-of-three series the two teams played this year. The Dirtbags swept the Titans on their home turf back in March in the nonconference-scoring series and then took 2-of-3 from Fullerton in the final week of conference play. But in the Super Regional, the Titans won 2-of-3 versus the Dirtbags to advance to their 18th College World Series appearance.
• Cal State Fullerton opens CWS play against No. 1 Oregon State, who hasn’t lost a contest since April 29. LSU and Florida State are also on the Titans’ side of the bracket. The Titans and Beavers have only battled three times, with the most recent coming in the 2007 College World Series, a contest CSF lost 3-2. The other two contests were back in 1977 and 1984 with the Titans winning both. The Titans own a 10-7 record over the Seminoles, but haven’t faced them since the 1999 College World Series where they lost 7-2. LSU and Cal State Fullerton have faced off 11 times, seven of which were in the postseason, and the Tigers hold a 7-4 advantage.
• One win in the College World Series will bump Cal State Fullerton’s win total to 40, making it the 28th time the Titans have reached the 40-win threshold and the first since going 51-10 in 2013.
• Cal State Fullerton’s all-time NCAA record is 155-83 (.651) including Regional (100-43, .707); Super Regional (20-12, .625) and 34-29 (.540) in Omaha.
• The Titans have never gone winless in regional play, the only program with 38-plus appearances (eight programs total) to do so. They have gone 0-2 only twice in a Super Regional (2008 & 2013) and six times in Omaha (1975, 1982, 1990, 2007, 2009 and 2015).
• The Titans have won four National Titles (1979, 1984, 1995, 2004).
• Cal State Fullerton has had five College World Series Outstanding Players.
Cal State Fullerton vs. 2017 NCAA Field
Long Beach State 3-6
San Diego State 0-1