Four Teams Featured On ESPNU/3 This Week
Big West Baseball Release - Week 11
Big West Tid Bits
• A sweep over UC Irvine, combined with Cal State Fullerton dropping two-of-three to Cal Poly, elevated No. 11 Long Beach State to the top of the Big West Conference standings with a 10-2 mark. The Titans dropped to 6-3 following last week’s results while Cal Poly improved to 8-4. CSUN currently sits fourth at 7- 5 and is followed by Hawai’i and UC Santa Barbara, who are knotted in fifth with a 4-5 conference mark. The Aggies of UC Davis are seventh at 5-7 with UC Irvine (2-7) in eighth and UC Riverside (2-10) rounding out the field.
• No. 11 Long Beach State recorded its nation-leading eighth shutout victory of the season last week with a 4-0 win over UC Irvine. The Dirtbags currently tied for first in the country with four other teams.
• The College Baseball Foundation released its 2017 initial watch lists for the Brooks Wallace Award, given to the nation’s top shortstop, and National Pitcher of the Year Award and four Big West student-athletes were among those who were named. UC Irvine’s Mikey Duarte and Cal State Fullerton’s Sahid Valenzuela were among the group of 75 talented athletes in Division I college baseball named to the 2017 Brooks Wallace Award Watch List. Cal State Fullerton’s John Gavin and Long Beach State’s Darren McCaughan made the watch list for Pitcher of the Year Award.
• Long Beach State is dominating on the mound as its pitching staff currently sports the ninth-best ERA in the country with a 2.95 mark. The Dirtbags are led by Dave Smith, who owns a 1.50 ERA over 42.0 innings pitched.
• The Big West Conference has three of the nation’s top 5 teams for walks allowed per nine innings. Hawai’i is first at 2.07 with Cal State Fullerton (2.18) right behind in second. Long Beach State holds the fourth slot with a 2.34 mark.
Individually, UH’s Brendan Hornung ranks fourth with a .70 mark, while a LBSU duo of Dave Smith (.86) and Darren McCaughan (.96) sit seventh and 12th.
• Cal State Fullerton and UC Irvine continue to showcase Top 20 defenses as the Titans rank 16th in the country at .980 and the ‘Eaters are 18th with a .979 clip.
• Thirty NCAA® baseball student-athletes who excel both on and off the diamond were selected as candidates for the 2017 Senior CLASS Award® in collegiate baseball and UC Irvine’s Adam Alcantara and CSUN’s Conner O’Neil made the elite list.
• USA Baseball announced the coaching staff for the 2017 Collegiate National Team and Dave Snow, Troy Buckley (Long Beach State), Rick Vanderhook (Cal State Fullerton) and Larry Lee (Cal Poly) join manager John Savage (UCLA).
• Cal State Fullerton is set to host UC Irvine and UC Santa Barbara in nationally televised ESPNU games on Saturday, April 29 and Friday, May 12. The Titans are also slated to host a pair of contests on FOX Prime Ticket against UC Santa Barbara (May 13) and Long Beach State (May 27).
A selection of Big West baseball games will also be carried on ESPN3 this season with all games originating from Southern California member institutions Cal State Fullerton, Long Beach State, UC Irvine and UC Riverside.