Triton Invite, Causeway Classic Highlight Track & Field Schedule
2017 Track and Field Release No. 7
UC Davis hosts rival Sacramento State in a dual meet called the Causeway Classic, while a group of squads head down south to compete in the Triton Invite.
BIG WEST AT A GLANCE
Five Schools Head To Triton Invite: As the Big West Track and Field Championships approach, teams are gearing up with a handful of additional opportunities to record top performances and qualifying marks. A group of five Big West schools – Cal State Fullerton, CSUN, Long Beach State, UC Irvine and UC Santa Barbara – are sending contingents to compete in the Triton Invite, a two-day event hosted by UC San Diego that will attract over 1,100 athletes, including a number of Olympians and world champions.
A Further Look At The Schedule: Cal State Fullerton is also sending a group of athletes to compete in the Michael Johnson Invite in Waco, Texas. UC Davis is hosting the Causeway Classic Dual in a head-to-head with nearby rival Sacramento State. UC Riverside and UC Santa Barbara will have competitors at the UCR Open, while CSUN will bring representation to the Bulldog Invitational in Clovis, Calif.
Goins Takes Over Conference Lead In 800 Meters: UC Davis senior Rianna Goins bested her previous 800 personal record by almost one full second – and took over the Big West lead in the event by nearly four seconds – after clocking a fifth-place time of 2:05.72 at the prestigious Mt. SAC Relays last week. Goins bettered her mark of 2:06.74 set at the 2016 Sac State Open, and surpassed the previous conference leader, UC Santa Barbara junior Jenna Hinkle, who ran 2:09.41 at the Big West Challenge on Apr. 7.
National Rankings Feature Big West Athletes: A number of Big West athletes are ranked nationally in the top 25 according to the Track and Field Results Reporting System (TFRRS).
• UC Irvine sophomore Isaiah Jewett recorded the nation’s 22nd-fastest time in the 800-meters (1:48.43) at last week’s Mt. SAC Relays.
• UC Irvine senior Lloyd Sicard is 12th in the country in the 110-meter hurdles (13.74).
• Long Beach State junior Vincent Calhoun ranks No. 19 in the high jump (7-01.00).
• Long Beach State senior Xander Cooper is No. 21 in the pole vault with a mark of 17-04.50.
• Long Beach State sophomore Kemonie Briggs ranks No. 6 in the long jump (26-02.75).
• UC Riverside senior Carl Nahigian has the 18th-farthest throw in the shot put (61-06.75).
• Long Beach State sophomore Josh Carr is No. 23 in the discus (186-00).
• Beach teammates Robert Marlow and James Hubbard rank No. 17 and No. 25 in the hammer with marks of 219-07 and 217-03, respectively.
• UC Davis senior Rianna Goins owns the No. 19 time in the 800-meters at 2:05.72.
• UC Santa Barbara junior Jenna Hinkle ranks No. 16 in the 1,500-meters with a time of 4:16.62.
• Cal Poly sophomore Peyton Bilo is 13th in the 5,000-meters in 15:52.01.
• CSUN junior Courtney Robinson sits 12th in the 100-meter hurdles at 13.13.
• UC Irvine sophomore Barbara Coward and CSUN senior Brianna Cueva rank No. 14 and No. 25 in the discus with throws of 180-08 and 176-00, respectively.
• In the hammer, CSUN senior Monique Griffiths is ranked No. 14 with a mark of 207-01.
• UC Santa Barbara senior Tori Usgaard and Long Beach State senior Riley Cooks are ranked No. 12 and No. 18 in the heptathlon with totals of 5,551 and 5,432 points, respectively.
Big West Track & Field Championship Comes To Cal State Fullerton: Cal State Fullerton will host the Big West Track and Field Championships for the first time since 1999. The Titan Track Complex will be home to the multi-events portion of the meet (May 5-6) and the full portion (May 12-13).