Trio Opens Home Schedule With Weekend Series
Big West Conference Baseball Release - Week 2
• First weekend of baseball in the books and CSUN is sitting atop the charts with a .64 ERA and is tied for first with Cal State Fullerton with 27 strike outs. The Matadors pitching staff, led by Andrew Weston, also held their opponents to .156 batting average opening weekend.
• Bats were on fire for UC Irvine last weekend as the Anteaters hold the top spot in the conference with a .292 batting average and .420 on-base percentage. The ‘Eaters are also tied for first with the Titans in runs scored with 15, yet UCI played one less game than CSF. UC Irvine is led by Adam Alcantara and his .625 clip, which ranks second in the Big West Conference.
• Due to severe rain in Southern California last week, Long Beach State and No. 24 UC Santa Barbara moved their season-opening home series to their opponents' fields so this week now showcases their home openers. The Dirtbags entertain Fordham while the Gauchos host Tulane. Also opening the home portion of its schedule this week is UC Davis as it welcomes Utah Valley to Dobbins Baseball Complex.
• In the fall a pair of Big West Conference baseball teams earned recognition for their incoming recruiting classes. UC Santa Barbara, was ranked in several lists, but received its highest national ranking in program history at No. 9 in Collegiate Baseball’s ranking. Cal State Fullerton’s recruiting class was ranked No. 21 in the nation, according to Collegiate Baseball’s annual evaluation in September.
• No. 7 Cal State Fullerton head coach Rick Vanderhook is just two victories away from securing his 200th overall win. He could eclipse that mark as early as Friday as the Titans face San Diego State Wednesday before traveling to UNLV for a weekend series. Cal State Fullerton opened the new year winning a series, 2-1, over nationally-ranked Stanford to clinch its first series victory over the Cardinal since 2009.
• USA Baseball announced the coaching staff for the 2017 Collegiate National Team and Dave Snow, Troy Buckley (Long Beach State), Rick Vanderhook (Cal State Fullerton) and Larry Lee (Cal Poly) join manager John Savage (UCLA).
• Cal State Fullerton is set to host rival Big West programs UC Irvine and UC Santa Barbara in nationally televised ESPNU games this spring. The Titans welcome the ESPNU cameras to Goodwin Field on Saturday, April 29 at 7:00 p.m. (PT) against UCI and Friday, May 12 at 6:00 p.m. (PT) versus UCSB.
The Titans are also slated to host a pair of contests of FOX Prime Ticket with the first showdown taking place May 13 at Goodwin Field. Cal State Fullerton will host 2016 College World Series participant UC Santa Barbara. On Saturday, May 27, CSF will play longtime rival Long Beach State at Goodwin Field. First pitches for both games will be 7:00 p.m.
A selection of Big West baseball games will also be carried on ESPN3 this season with all games originating from Southern California member institutions Cal State Fullerton, Long Beach State, UC Irvine and UC Riverside. Every Big West team will make an appearance on the televised baseball schedule.
Every game on ESPN’s platforms is available through WatchESPN, accessible online at WatchESPN.com, on smartphones and tablets via the WatchESPN app, through ESPN on Xbox LIVE to Gold members, on Apple TV and Roku to fans who receive their video subscription from an affiliated provider.