Teams Vie For Division Titles, Tournament Seeds
2016 Men's Soccer Release No. 10
Entering the final week of the men's soccer regular season, UC Santa Barbara is in position to capture its fourth straight North Division crown with the Big West Tournament on the horizon.
#BWCMSOC | #RaiseTheCup
North Division Title Update
Entering the final week of the regular season, UC Santa Barbara is well positioned to capture its fourth straight North Division title. The Gauchos sit atop the North with 18 points, owning a five-point lead on second place Sacramento State. Those two teams meet in Sacramento on Wednesday, with the Gauchos needing a tie or a win to clinch the division title. Sacramento State is still in contention for the division crown, but must beat UCSB and then Cal Poly on the road on Saturday, coupled with a UCSB loss or tie to UC Davis on Sunday. In that scenario, the Hornets would share the division title if UCSB ties and win the division outright if UCSB loses.
South Division Title Update
It’s anyone’s guess as to who emerges as the South Division champion with two games remaining in the regular season. CSUN is the leader with 14 points, a mere one-point up on challengers Cal State Fullerton and UC Riverside.
• CSUN is looking to capture its second South Division title – first since 2012, the inaugural year the conference instituted divisional play.
• CSF is seeking its second straight division title.
• UCR is aiming for its second division title in the last three years.
The simplest road to declaring a champion on Wednesday is in the event that CSUN wins at Cal State Fullerton, combined with a UC Riverside loss at UC Irvine. The Matadors would hoist the crown in that scenario.
If The Tournament Started Today...
The first round of the ninth annual Big West Tournament begins on Saturday, Nov. 5 at campus sites. The top three teams in each division make the tournament field. Each No. 1 divisional seed receives an automatic bye into the semifinals. Currently, UCSB in the North and CSUN in the South would receive byes.
The first round Nov. 5 matchups would be as follows:
(S3) UC Riverside at (N2) Sacramento State
(N3) UC Davis at (S2) Cal State Fullerton
More Tournament Talk
The only team eliminated from tournament contention is UC Irvine. Cal Poly remains in contention in the North as the fourth place team with five points. For starters, the Mustangs need a win at UC Davis on Wednesday.
Should that happen, the Mustangs can clinch a bid if:
• On Saturday, the Mustangs defeat Sacramento State at home, followed by a UC Davis loss or tie at UCSB on Sunday.
• Cal Poly ties Sacramento State, coupled with a UC Davis loss to UCSB. In that scenario, the Mustangs and Aggies would be tied at 9 nine points apiece, but Cal Poly would get in via the head-to-head tiebreaker – 2-0 against UC Davis.
Cal State Fullerton is the two-time defending Big West Tournament champion.