Big West Teams Head To Bay Area For Stanford Invitational
Big West Cross Country Weekly Release No. 5
Big West clubs will see plenty of each other this weekend as all but one club heads to the Bay Area for the Stanford Invitational.
The 41st annual Stanford Invitational attracts some of the top teams and individuals to the Stanford Golf Course. The meet will give the competing clubs a look at the course ahead of this season’s NCAA West Regional. In all, 44 collegiate clubs have registered to race across the men’s 8K and women’s 6K.
• CSUN’s Elizabeth Nelson won her second race of the season, topping the field in the 5K at the Aztec Invitational. Nelson ran the course in 18:46.50, finishing over 17 seconds better than second place. Nelson previously finished first at the San Francisco Invitational in the Matadors’ season-opener.
• Cal State Fullerton came away with a stellar showing at the Mustang Challenge as the men’s team finished second and the women’s team came in fourth. The men were led by the duo of Daniel Ramirez (25:59.6) and Jose Penaloza (26:01.6) who finished second and third, respectively, in the 8K race. The Titan women had Emily Taylor as their top finisher with a 13th place showing in 18:52.3 in the 5K.
• UC Irvine also competed at the Mustang Challenge, finishing 10th on the men’s side and ninth on the women’s side. Alex Tebbe led the way for the men with a 13th place showing in 26:26.2, while Alice Yang crossed the line in 19:06.8 for 23rd place.
• Hawai’i’s Montana Martinez has been an impact runner for the Rainbow Wahine in her first season on the islands. The freshman has been UH’s top finisher in all three races this season, including a 12th place (20:12) showing in the 5K at last weekend’s BYU-Hawai’i Invitational.
• The Big West Championships return to the Inland Empire this season as UC Riverside will host the event at the Ag/Ops Course. This will be the sixth time in the last eight seasons that UCR has hosted the league meet. Last season in San Luis Obispo, homestanding Cal Poly swept the men’s and women’s championship. The Mustangs also swept the teams titles in 2012, the last time UC Riverside hosted the meet.