Cal Poly, Hawaii Bust Out To 3-0 Conference Starts
Links associated with this release:
This Week in the Big West - January 7-13, 2013
Men's Basketball Weekly Release No. 10
Cal Poly and Hawai’i are off to 3-0 conference starts for the first time in many years, but both clubs will be tested on the road this week. The Mustangs take a trip to northern California to face UC Davis and Pacific, while the Rainbow Warriors tackle their first Big West road assignment when they play at UC Irvine on ESPNU Wednesday.
BIG WEST AT A GLANCE
• Cal Poly and Hawai’i enter week three of conference action tied atop the Big West with 3-0 records. Both programs are off to their best conference starts in quite some time. The Mustangs last started 3-0 in 1996-97, their inaugural season in the Big West. The Rainbow Warriors have impressed in their debut season in the Big West. UH’s 3-0 start is its first since the 2001-02 season when that club began 6-0 as a member of the Western Athletic Conference.
• UH senior Vander Joaquim has posted double-digit rebounds in four straight games and ranks third in the Big West in the category (8.8 rpg). He also is closing in on the 1,000-point milestone for his career. The 6-10 center has 963 career points and needs 37 more to become the 15th player in program history to reach 1,000.
• Picked to finish third in the preseason media poll, UC Irvine makes two television appearances this week. The Anteaters host Hawai’i Wednesday on ESPNU and Cal State Northridge Saturday on FOX PRIME TICKET. UCI has played 11 of its first 16 games on the road. After playing twice at home this week, the Anteaters prepare for five of their next seven contests away from the friendly confines of the Bren Center. UCI has been involved in a number of close games this season, but came out on the negative end each time with an 0-5 record in games decided by five points or less.
• Cal State Fullerton continues to be one of the nation’s most prolific offensive clubs. The Titans rank second nationally in scoring offense (85.6 ppg), fifth in three-point field goals made per game (9.4), sixth in free throw percentage (77.9), and eighth in field goal percentage (50.7) and three-point field goal percentage (41.9). The Titans topped the 100-point mark for the third time in 2012-13 when they defeated Cal State Northridge, 105-86, on Saturday.
• Long Beach State returns to the Walter Pyramid for games against Cal State Northridge and Hawai’i looking to extend a longstanding streak. The 49ers have won 18 straight conference home games dating back to the 2009-10 season. LBSU’s last home loss in Big West play happened on Feb. 17, 2010 to Pacific.
• Cal Poly did not have a single player score 20 points or more the entire 2011-12 season. Junior forward Chris Eversley already has five such performances this season. He had 24 points in Saturday’s victory against UC Irvine.
• For the eighth year, institutions will air all home and conference matches on BigWest.TV. For the 2012-13 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
Big West.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s 10 member institutions. Now in its eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Championships.