Championship Course Map
The #27 Cal Poly men's squad and the #24 UC Santa Barbara women's team claimed the 2007 Big West Cross Country Championships Saturday. The championships were hosted by Cal Poly and held at Fairbanks Cross Country Course in San Luis Obispo.
The Mustangs took down multiple records on their way to their fifth consecutive title and eighth in the last 10 years. Cal Poly registered a clean sweep of the top five spots, breaking the Big West record for scoring with 15 points, one less than the 1986 UC Irvine and 1996 Boise State contingents. In addition, all five Mustang runners topped the previous course record of 25:38.20 by Cal Poly's Sean Ricketts in 2003.
UC Santa Barbara finished in second place with 53 points, followed by UC Riverside (79) in third and Long Beach State (134) in fourth. UC Irvine was fifth with 137 points, while newcomer UC Davis tallied 140 points. Cal State Fullerton (187) and Cal State Northridge rounded out the scoring on the men's side.
Cal Poly's Phillip Reid won his second straight Big West title with his course-record time of 25:12.4, becoming the first Big West athlete to win back-to-back titles since the Mustangs' Adam Boothe accomplished the feat in 1999 and 2000. Teammate Troy Swier (25:21.1) was second, while Evan Anderson was third after finishing the 8K course in 25:22.6. Jeff Lease (25:23.2) and Joe Gatel (25:24.2) completed the sweep.
UC Riverside's Ulices Pina was sixth in 25:30.5, while UC Santa Barbara took the next three slots in Scott Smith (25:38.6), Micah Tyhurst (25:43.1) and Julian DeRubira (25:44.9). Cal Poly registered the 10th place runner as Leif Anderson ran 25:45.5.
On the women's side, the Gauchos collected 44 points on their way to their second straight Big West title and fourth in the last five seasons. UC Riverside (57) outlasted UC Irvine (59) for second, while Long Beach State claimed fourth with 93 points. The Aggies of UC Davis finished their first championship in fifth with 136 points, while Cal State Fullerton collected 139 points for sixth. Host Cal Poly (147), Pacific (258) and Cal State Northridge (272) rounded out the women's scoring.
UC Santa Barbara's Megan Lewis was the individual champion after finishing the 6K course in 21:16.0, 19 seconds faster than her teammate Bethany Nickless (21:35.6). Laura Olvera (21:45.8) finished third, her third consecutive top three finish at the Big West Championships, while UC Riverside's Brenda Martinez (21:56.6) and UCSB's Danielle Domenichelli (22:05.3) rounded out the top five. Long Beach State's Sarah Apgar was sixth (22:06.5), while Cal Poly picked up a top 10 finisher in Kim Donatelli (22:16.5) who finished seventh. UCR picked up the next two slots in Cristina Olivas (22:18.5) and Lisa Lopez (22:22.9), while UCI's Candice Proctor rounded out the top 10 with a time of 22:24.8.
2007 Big West Championships
Men's Team Scores
1. Cal Poly - 15
2. UC Santa Barbara - 53
3. UC Riverside - 79
4. Long Beach State - 134
5. UC Irvine - 137
6. UC Davis - 140
7. Cal State Fullerton - 187
8. Cal State Northridge - 240
Mens Top 10 Finishers
*1. Phillip Reid, Cal Poly - 25:12.4
2. Troy Swier, Cal Poly - 25:21.1
3. Evan Anderson, Cal Poly - 25:22.6
4. Jeff Lease, Cal Poly - 25:23.2
5. Joe Gatel, Cal Poly - 25:24.2
6. Ulices Pina, UC Riverside - 25:30.5
7. Scott Smith, UC Santa Barbara - 25:38.6
8. Micah Tyhurst, UC Santa Barbara - 25:43.1
9. Julian DeRubira, UC Santa Barbara - 25:44.9
10. Leif Anderson, Cal Poly - 25:45.5
* - course record
Women's Team Scores
1. UC Santa Barbara - 44
2. UC Riverside - 57
3. UC Irvine - 59
4. Long Beach State - 93
5. UC Davis - 136
6. Cal State Fullerton - 139
7. Cal Poly - 147
8. Pacific - 258
9. Cal State Northridge - 272
Women's Top 10 Finishers
1. Megan Lewis, UC Santa Barbara - 21:16.0
2. Bethany Nickless, UC Santa Barbara - 21:35.6
3. Laura Olvera, UC Irvine - 21:45.8
4. Brenda Martinez, UC Riverside - 21:56.6
5. Danielle Domenichelli, UC Santa Barbara - 22:05.3
6. Sarah Apgar, Long Beach State - 22:06.5
7. Kim Donatelli, Cal Poly - 22:16.5
8. Cristina Olivas, UC Riverside - 22:18.5
9. Lisa Lopez, UC Riverside - 22:22.9
10. Candice Proctor, UC Irvine - 22:24.8